Tonkin Gap Project and Associated Works (From January 2021)
As part of the rail enabling works for the Morley-Ellenbrook Line, Main Roads WA will continue to work in the median of Tonkin Highway at Marshall Road, Reid Highway, Benara Road and Collier Road. Work includes the construction of deflection walls, pier protection and earthworks.
More information on upcoming works and out of hours works can be found on the Main Roads website.
In April works will include:
- Barrier removal and footing excavation at the median on Tonkin Highway at Broun Avenue.
- Import of fill across the project area in preparation for earthworks.
- Excavation of drainage basins at Collier Road.
- Construction of deflection walls, pier protection, topsoil removal and earthworks in the median.
Southern dive structure
You’ll notice some activity at the corner of Railway Parade and Tonkin Highway as we prepare the site for the construction of the southern dive structure. This will be where the Morley-Ellenbrook Line dives under Tonkin Highway to connect with the Midland line and Bayswater Station.
Throughout April there will be:
- Controlled removal of the old structure on the west side of the highway.
- Vegetation clearing, mulching and topsoil removal near Tonkin Highway after Railway Parade.
- Temporary road widening and lane shifts on Tonkin Highway between Railway Parade and Collier Road, which will remain in place for up to 12 months.
Out of hours work (From December 15, 2020)
As part of the rail enabling works for the Morley-Ellenbrook Line, Main Roads WA have started pouring concrete for the pier protection in the Tonkin Highway median at the Benara Road intersection.
The concrete can only be poured when the temperature is cooler, therefore, some works need to start before 7am.
The community may notice large trucks and machinery on local roads and in the rail corridor creating noise and vibration. All works will follow an approved Noise Management Plan.