Caledonian Avenue Level Crossing in Maylands will close permanently in the first half of 2022, providing welcome relief for motorists.
Once the Airport Line is open, the boom gates would be down more than four hours per day.
The increased train frequency on the Midland Line will see longer times for the boom gates to be down; increasing the potential for risk-taking behaviour, as well as significant impacts on local roads.
The following proposed road enhancements in the surrounding area are planned as part of the project:
- removal of the level crossing at Caledonian Avenue;
- upgrade of the intersection and installation of traffic signals at Guildford Road and Seventh Avenue;
- upgrade of the intersection and pedestrian access at the Guildford Road and Eighth Avenue;
- upgrade and signalisation of the intersection at Whatley Crescent and Railway Parade; and
- the formalisation of two lanes of traffic in each direction on Whatley Crescent between Railway Parade and Garratt Road.
Proposed enhancements will be finalised in consultation with community and stakeholders and rolled out over the next three years by Main Roads WA.
For more information, please see the Caledonian Avenue Fact Sheet.